Jumia is the leading internet group of Africa with already over 3000 employees in over 20 African countries and huge successes. It is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by Millicom, MTN, AXA, Goldman Sachs and Rocket Internet.
Africa is one of the fastest growing economies in the globe, offering excellent opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment. Its economic growth has enabled innovative businesses to flourish and this is where Jumia steps in.
We want to create a well-balanced team of talented, truly dynamic and highly motivated individuals with a passion for emerging markets and Africa. We are currently looking for outstanding candidates interested in entrepreneurship and web businesses.
As the head of accounting of Jumia Uganda you will work directly with the Jumia Group CFO and the founding team in Uganda which you support in interdisciplinary issues such as controlling and accounting.
The position entails responsibility for all finance related requirements for legal entities in Uganda - this would involve the following
- Managing and maintaining the financial accounting system, and all accounting processes including daily accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash collection, GL, payroll, bank reconciliation and tax filings
- Ensuring accurate and timely reporting of the business financial results, the preparation of the budgets, financial reports and analyses and supporting the analysis of financial results to the executive leadership team and Partner group
- Ensure compliance with all country legal, regulatory and tax reporting requirements
- Supporting the evaluation of cash flow projections
- Developing country/product specific policies and procedures to improve overall operation/effectiveness
Background and skills
- Degree in Accounting and local accounting qualification
- Min 7 years’ experience in audit or as an accountant (Experience with basic accounting systems (ideally Nav), monthly group reporting and managing local tax compliancy)
- Leadership skills – ability to manage a team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work with a wide variety of departments
- Hands-on attitude. E-commerce is 50% operations, so you must not be afraid of rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team working around the world
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders for our future internet ventures